Monday, August 17

Back - Sort Of

Well, I've had a week off, mostly spent lying in bed and I have to tell you I'm exhausted!

The treatment I was receiving last week was five days of intravenous infusion with an experimental drug. The drug (originally used for treating Leukaemia) works by intentionally destroying your immune system. Since in MS your own immune system starts attacking the myelin sheaths that insulate your nerves in your brain and spinal cord, the study doctors figure that killing off your immune system and letting it regrow might fix the problem. The results of previous clinical trials have been very encouraging.

Of course, the downside is I've just spent a week being pumped full of very toxic chemicals and now I have no immune system, so I'm very vulnerable to infection and food poisoning. Also, I'm completely knackered, despite not having done anything for a week. I'm under Doctor's orders to take things very easy for a couple of weeks.

Much as I'd like to continue lying on the sofa watching telly (it was pretty much all I was capable of this weekend), I've got a swollen inbox now after a week off, and I need to get the art for the Sumeria 2-player expansion to the manufacturers by Friday, so I can't just totally slack off.

I'm also keen to make some progress on the Sumeria computer game which has been on hold for a few weeks. I'll have to see what I've got the energy for...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both my wife and father have had treatments with experimental drugs, and it's a scary and stressful process. I sincerely hope the drugs work, and that you have a restful couple of weeks sans food poisoning.

Jackson Pope said...

Thanks! Me too! At least the drugs aren't a complete unknown as they've been used to treat Leukaemia for many years and there have already been a bunch of successful trials for MS. But I'm still one of the first 1,000 or so people to get it for MS so it's a bit of an unknown.

Cheers,

Jack

Mike said...

Best wishes on your recovery and the treatment's efficacy.

Jackson Pope said...

Hiya Mike,

Thanks :-)

Cheers,

Jack

Mal said...

Any progress on the computer version of Sumeria? Been a while since it got a mention...

Jackson Pope said...

Hiya Mal,

I've been working on other things :/

I've not done anything on it for a while. I'll try to get back to it in the New Year.

Cheers,

Jack